High temperature processing and engineering of residues
- Physical properties: viscosity, diffusivity, density, surface and interfacial tension, thermo-conductivity, electric-conductivity, thermal expansion coefficient, optical properties of slags
- Thermodynamic properties: activity for slag systems, slag capacities (sulphide capacities, phosphate and phosphide capacities, etc. Solubility of solid compounds in liquid slag)
- Hot stage slag engineering
- Slag composition modification for added value application
- Hot stage slag carbonation
- Heavy metal immobilisation
- Volume stability
- Internal slag recycling and other solid wastes utilisation in metallurgical process
- Slag engineering to optimise metallurgical process (e.g. protect lining brick from degradation,…)
- Slag formation, slag foaming, slag minimisation in the process
- Controlled slag cooling and microstructure
- Freeze lining
- CCT and TTT curves of slag, crystal precipitation and growth kinetics
- Mold slag solidification during continuous casting
- Dry quenching to recover heat from high temperature slag
- Harvesting enthalpy in slag
- Recovery of base metals, recovery of rare earth and precious metals
- High temperature processes
- Mineral processing: magnetic separation, gravity separation, flotation separation, etc.
- Clean slag production: slag design for zero waste metallurgy, deep reduction, plasma fuming, leaching, removal of harmful component from slag, etc.
Valorisation of slags and residues in construction materials and novel applications
- Slag engineering for new binders
- Slag comminution
- Cements incorporating residues
- New clinkers (belite, sulfo-aluminate, sulfo-ferrite, etc.)
- High temperature residues as supplementary cementitious materials
- Alkali-activated materials, inorganic polymers, geopolymers
- Alternative activators
- Carbonation processing
- Hybrid cements
- Alternative activators
- Ceramics from high-temperature residues
- Admixtures for cementitious materials
- Modelling (thermodynamic, statistical, computational)
- Advanced characterisation techniques and tools
- Novel processing routes (e.g. additive manufacturing, microwaving, coatings, pigments, etc.)
- Novel applications of cementitious materials (e.g. catalysis, etc.)
- Porous materials for sound and heat insulation
- Durability aspects of new binders
- Leaching aspects of residues and binders
- Real-life validation of new binder systems
Legal and environmental bottlenecks and opportunities for slag-based products valorisation
- Standardisation of slag-based products: Need for internationally accepted standards for slag-based construction materials.
- Recyclability of slag-based construction materials: Need to understand the long-term behaviour of slag-based materials (recyclability second life cycle, possible re-mobilisation of heavy metals)
- Carbon footprint of slag-based products, potential as carbon sinks: Understand the environmental balance or carbon footprint (LCA or else) of slag-based material compared to traditional construction materials. Understand their capacity to act as carbon sink (e.g. carbonation)
- By-product or waste? Need to define the legal status of industrial slag, to strengthen their position and their value in the market.
Innovation and entrepreneurship in the raw materials sector
- Start-up and innovative ideas
- New business model
- Market trends, analyses and forecasts
- Case studies of products in the market
Plenary lectures will be given by invited specialists and/or high level representatives of the key institutes in this field (academia, industry and entrepreneurship). The invited scientific lectures cover each a specific topic in a relatively detailed way.
In 7 thematic sessions, participants will be given the opportunity to present their work to the audience. Participants submitting an abstract can indicate whether they would like to be considered as poster or as oral presenters. After revision and acceptance of the abstract by the Scientific Committee, they will be scheduled by the Organizing Committee in the appropriate session.
"Dry Granulation and Heat Recovery from Metallurgical Slags"
Waltraud M Kriven
"Alkali Silicate Activated, Slag-Fly Ash Binders"
"Thermophysical properties of silicate melts and glasses"
Tentative programme – Final programme by March 15, 2019
|April 1, 2019||April 2, 2019||April 3, 2019||April 4, 2019||April 5, 2019|
|8:30||Registration - workshop participants||Registration - all participants||Plant visit|
|Morning 1||Carbonation workshop/course||Welcome: Organisers
|Coffee break and Exhibition and Poster sessions|
|Morning 2||Carbonation workshop/course||Plenary 2
|Lunch and Exhibition and Poster sessions||End of symposium|
|Afternoon 1||Inorganic polymer workshop/course
|Coffee break and Exhibition and Poster sessions||Closing speech
|Afternoon 2||Inorganic polymer workshop/course
|17:00||End of sessions|
|Registration - all participants||Social Event 1:
Explore the host city
|Social Event 2: