- Extended abstract submissionSeptember 30, 2022
- Notification of abstract acceptanceNovember 15, 2022
- Paper submission deadlineJanuary 15, 2023
- SymposiumApril 18-20, 2023
We are now more than ever aware of the risks which we encounter on this precious planet. As our society is facing several challenges, such as climate change, depletion of resources, global socio-economic and energy crises and human inequality, we realize that action is urgently needed. Through the 2030 Agenda and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), adopted by the 193 Member States of the United Nations, we have a roadmap and strategy to transform our world by 2030. This is the Decade of Action. Although efforts are made around the world to make this transition happen, the progress is not yet at full speed and scale, and we need to take critical steps to tackle current and future challenges. To achieve SDG 12 “sustainable consumption and production patterns”, we should make considerable steps forward in the development of sustainable practices in the metallurgical sector, through, among others, the valorisation of high-temperature residues, such as slags.
The International Slag Valorisation Symposium
Today in its 8th edition, the “Slag Valorisation Symposium”, organised by the Materials Engineering Department at KU Leuven and held in Belgium since 2009 as a biennial conference, serves as a forum for discussions on the valorisation of slags and other high-temperature metallurgical residues. The symposium has historically brought together different expertise from academia and industry, providing a knowledge platform to share and discuss the upcoming challenges and opportunities in the world of slag valorisation and sustainable high-temperature processes. After a virtual edition in 2021, we are happy to invite and welcome again high-level speakers from globally recognised organisations. The symposium aims to cover several topics, from the scientific and technical relevance of slag valorisation to its environmental and economic impacts. The quality of the scientific committee, selected among the most recognised experts in this field, will ensure the highest standards of the accepted works.
The objective of this 8th edition of the International Slag Symposium – Tackling future critical challenges – is to discuss and share the most updated findings in the field of slag and metallurgical residue valorisation, metals recovery, slag’s life cycle analysis, policy for slag valorisation guided by climate neutrality and resource efficiency principles. We invite all researchers and other actors to share their enthusiasm by submitting their works on the following topics:
- Fundamental studies on liquid and solid slags
- Hot-stage slag engineering, slag solidification, slag conditioning, internal reuse
- Slag cleaning and metal recovery
- Production, properties and performance of slag-based products
- Process development for sustainable technologies
- Industrial case studies on slag/residue valorisation
- Environmental and economic analysis
- Policy and regulations
The contributions submitted by the participants, together with the lectures from the invited speakers, will enhance discussions and new ideas towards a more sustainable future.
- 7th Slag Valorisation Symposium – 27-29/04/2021
- 6th Slag Valorisation Symposium – 01-05/04/2019
- 5th Slag Valorisation Symposium – 03-05/04/2017
- 4th Slag Valorisation Symposium – 15-17/04/2015
- 3rd Slag Valorisation Symposium – 19-20/03/2013
- 2nd Slag Valoristaion Symposium – 18-20/04/2011
- 1st Slag Valorisation Symposium – 06-07/04/2009